Wednesday, April 29, 2020

A tough time for seniors, but our seniors are tougher!

It is undeniably a tough time for all college (and HS) seniors as they miss out on what should be their favorite semester of their undergraduate years.  They have sacrificed so much only to have the rug pulled out from under them just when it was getting fun.  I can remember the angry call I received from Alex when he learned that their lacrosse season was being canceled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.  So much anger, frustration and sorrow.

As I write this, we are still in the midst of this lock down.  Schools are closed.  Students are "distance learning" to finish their school year.  Graduations have been postponed.  All athletic and group events have been canceled.  There is some talk of *gradually* re-opening the economy, but it is not happening very quickly.   There isn't a lot to be happy about as business that are temporarily closed may find they cannot re-open and millions of people across the country are unemployed.  It is a scary time, for sure.

With that in mind, I know Alex and others like him will eventually be just fine, because they are fighting through this difficult time and will be stronger for it.  Bitter disappointment now should turn into indomitable resolve later.  Suffering now will lead to perseverance later.  This generation should emerge tougher than before - I hope they all carry this with them to make sure that happens.  To look forward and not take anything for granted.  To look back, not with bitterness for what wasn't, but with gratitude for what was.  We live in a time when our personal freedoms are being stripped from us on a daily basis.  We should never find ourselves in this position again.

So I will choose to look at the photo above, with Alex's eyes cast out to the far distance and choose to see him looking forward, prepared for the future, excited for the opportunities that are ahead, smiling knowing that he is ready.

Godspeed son!

No comments:

Post a Comment